Monday, July 24, 2006

I love Jesus's parables, but not his politics

Via TBogg, we find out that Ann Althouse is once again to the left of the Bell Curve:

"Don’t you see that the wars we are fighting now are for resources? It’s just going to get worse; it’s utterly tragic and I have no solution. I’ve been writing about this for a long time."

I want to like novelists. Really, I do. For example, T.C. Boyle. I read him sometimes. That is to say: I subordinate my mind to his and let his thoughts become my thoughts. But then I read quotes like this, and it sets me to wondering all over again about this practice of reading novels. They're written by novelists, you know.

For those of you who don’t know, Ann Althouse is a somewhat popular and extraordinarily shitty blogger. She treats logic like her own little Abu Gharib, working it over until every argument is a swollen, pulpy mess. She’s fought with Pinko Punko, who was only trying to help her avoid suffocation by removing her head from her butt. She opted for suffocation.

Anyway, you get the idea.

So Ann has already come out against movies not being true, now she gets her bloomers in a bunch over novelists acting all novelly. So I can just imagine her reaction to the Bible:

“I say unto you, that a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. And again I say unto you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.”

I want to like parablists. I really do. For example, I love Jesus. I subordinate my mind to him and want to hear about whether the prodigal son will return or whether the Samaritan gives the beat-up guy CPR in time. But then I read quotes like this and it gets me wondering all over again about this practice of reading the Bible. It was written by a bleeding-heart Messiah, you know.

POSTED BY ANN GESTALTHOUSE

1 comment:

Chuckles said...

If only she would subordinate her mind a bit more and actually learn something.