Saturday, April 14, 2007

Happy Birthday, TLB!

Today is the lovely birthday of The Lovely Becky. It is the 19th (!) birthday I have spent with her. It is much better than the 18th birthday we spent, cleaning up from a tornado. In fact, TLB's birthday has a long history of despair and disaster. Bad things happen around her birthday...and in fact, they started happening in anticipation of her birthday:
  • The Donner Party departed for their fateful trip
  • Lincoln was shot
  • The Titanic hit an iceberg (extra double irony)
  • Turkey invaded Armenia
  • Katharine Hepburn had to share the Oscar with Barbra Streisand (the horror, the horror)
  • Apollo 13's oxygen tank exploded
You get the picture.

But so far today, everything has been fine. No icebergs, comets, swirling clouds of wind, swirling swarms of scarabs, invasions, explosions, bloody coups, or bad news. Which is the best birthday gift of all.

Happy birthday, baby!

16 comments:

TLB said...

Thank you, my love.

PJKM said...

Happy Birthday, TLB! We hope you visit soon. (The fatted calf we prepared is started to look a little long in the tooth.)

I hope this birthday is weather-free and very happy.

Neel Mehta said...

Kathleen Turner had to share the Oscar with Barbara Streisand (the horror, the horror)

You mean Katharine Hepburn, right?

P.S. Happy birthday, TLB!

Anonymous said...

happy birthday TLB :)

i'm just throwing this out there, but what about global warming?

that's always great for a disaster to fill in in case you dont have one on hand.

Brando said...

Oops, thanks for spotting that, Neel.

traca de broon said...

A quick Google search reveals that the first edition of Webster's dictionary was published on April 14, 1828, which is pretty cool.

Happy birthday, tlb.

Anonymous said...

april 14th is also usually celebrated as the new year for punjabis, tamilians, and a host of other indian cultures

TLB said...

Thanks all. Your kind wishes are much appreciated.

Churlita said...

I'm getting to the party very late. I'm glad I got to wish TLB a happy birthday in person this year. I'm also glad that we weren't all covered in tornado scum this year.

Chuckles said...

I hope you got more for your birthday than a ribbon wrapped around a naked Brando.

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

AG was too busy on your day battling the storms of the Northeast. The marathon today is going to be quite the event. It was horrible as I made my way down the race route. I wanted to die and I wasn't even running!

BOSSY said...

"Swirling clouds of wind, swirling swarms of scarabs, invasions, explosions, bloody coups"

This sounds like every time Bossy makes a birthday cake.

Anonymous said...

Belated Happy B-day to your TLB!

At first I thought you said it was her 19th b-day and I was going to accuse you of being a perv... :)

Hope it was a good one.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I'm late, too. Happy Birthday, TLB!

I hope you got more for your birthday than a ribbon wrapped around a naked Brando.

:)

Oh why did you have to put that visual in my head, Chuckles? I have him pictured with the ribbon while playing Nintendo.

lol.....

Brando said...

Chuckles, I try to give TLB what she wants for her birthday. Sadly Orlando Bloom wouldn't take the candy and get in my car.

TLB said...

Thank you one and all. What I got for my birthday this year was a whopping tax bill and Brando's case of the plague.