Wednesday, June 01, 2005

How does Charles Barkley not have a talk show?

My crack team of comedy writing elves got too stoned to finish something original, so I'm cannibalizing, er, linking to something else:

Charles Barkley Quotes has a huge archive of Bartlby-quality bon mots from the funniest, largest, blackest man on television. My personal favorite:

You know the world is off tilt when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest basketball player is Chinese and Germany doesn't want to go to war.

He also epitomizes my second philosophy of life (after, "Have a good time, all the time"):

I think working is overrated, so I have no intention right now, or at any time in the near future, to get a real job.


Via ESPN's Bill Simmons

2 comments:

Grendel said...

He sounds like, as my grandma would put it, a "corker." I don't know much about him. That first quote is terrific.

Brando said...

Grendel, the basketball show Barkley does on the TNT channel (with Ernie Johnson and Kennie Anderson) is one of the funniest programs on TV. It's maybe second to The Daily Show to me in that regard, although it's funnier if you have followed the NBA at least casually for the last 20 years. But Barkley would be an outstanding talk-show host.