Tuesday, February 28, 2006

"Fuck you for not being funny"

I have a new mantra.

Michael Schaub at Bookslut hurls that epithet at the always-deserving Regan Books, which is apparently going to publish some sort of parody of James Frey's non-nonfiction called. . . A Million Little Lies. The main character is James Pinocchio. 'cause Pinocchio lies. Are you ready to laugh?

(Double kudos to Schaub for a William Taft reference.)

I am not normally one for sour grapes. While I'm toiling away on a comic novel* that I hope to sell one day, I don't write this blog for profit, I write it for fun. I am grateful that people have been enjoying it and coming back to read it. This is going to sound completely out of character, but in all seriousness, it's rewarding for me to think of people out there (those I know and those I don't) coming to this little hole-in-the-wall for a good throaty chuckle. I sincerely thank you for stopping by.

But if Judith Regan was going to offer someone a wheelbarrow full of money for a Frey parody, I would have glady auditioned for the gig and, I humbly submit, kicked Pinocchio's face in.

*Yeah, I know, a blogger writing a comic novel, where have I heard that before?

No comments: