Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Buy Bushwood?

Regardless of the final Senate outcome, I see last night's drubbing as a mandate that most Americans are tired of being ruled by people like this:


"I sent those boys to the chair. I didn't want to do it, but I felt I owed it to them."


When The Lovely Becky and I went to vote last night, there was a strong whiff of pig smell in the air (one of the downsides of living in hog country). It seemed pretty appropriate for election night.

I was so against voting Republican that I wrote myself in against the Republican county auditor, who was running unopposed. TLB and our friend MSF, who was voting at the same time, said they were sorry I hadn't announced my candidacy because they would have voted for me. Maybe I should have campaigned harder. Although with my sordid past, I wouldn't be in office long.

Congratulations to the Democrats. Please don't screw this opportunity up the way the GOP (literally) did.

And congrats to everyone who voted, regardless of how you voted. People are dying around the world just so they can one day feel apathetic about democracy.

10 comments:

Churlita said...

I voted at City High and it smelled overwhelming of patchouli, which I also found fitting for Iowa City.

If I knew you were writing yourself in for that, I would have voted for you. Instead, I wrote in my friend Bob because I couldn't vote Republican either.

Chuckles said...

Umm, I didn't vote. I didn't vote for two reasons: I missed the deadline for registrations and out of protest for the lack of Congressional representation for DC.

Anonymous said...

I am NOT buying anything Bush. Not even a rose bush.

Great news -- we took MT!

Anonymous said...

Bossy understands this election was a mandate against Republican policy as opposed to strictly Pro-Democrat. So now we have two years to make the country fall in love with us. Bossy suggests fishnet stockings.

Motel Manager said...

I totally would have voted for you if I'd known about your candidacy.

Anonymous said...

People are dying around the world just so they can one day feel apathetic about democracy.

dead people aren't just apathetic to democracy, they're apathetic to EVERYTHIGN!

teh l4m3 said...

I should write a post on this, but... Wolf Blitzer and others like him need new jobs -- ones where they don't analyze the news. This election was not a referendum on anything but lying (well, lying and crookedness.) It wasn't a referendum on Iraq -- it was a referendum on every lie we've been told for the past 6 years on Iraq. It wasn't a referendum on the government's behavior post-Katrina, it was a referendum on this government's lying about its own behavior post-Katrina. It wasn't a referendum on environmental policy, it was a referendum on every anti-science lie Republicans have been peddling. And so on and so forth -- you get where I'm going with this.

Sheesh.

Brando said...

Oh, aif, you and your grammar. Pshaw!

I was running on the silent but deadly platform. Sadly, I was only silent.

Chuckles, tell the truth -- on the way to the polls, you kept tripping over your wang.

I am impressed by teh's seriouspants.

Anonymous said...

Teh teh is spot on.

Anonymous said...

at least my spelling sux