Friday, November 13, 2009

No Friday Random 11 today

Hoped to get a Random 11 done today, but I am awash in work that cannot be put off. I am also a little tired from watching the Bears bleed to death last night against the 49ers, which led to this post: I Lost My Quarterback Rating in San Francisco. I really hate being on Eastern time, especially when it involves staying up to watch a hapless team punch itself in the balls for three-and-a-half hours. I need an intervention.

I am also going to be doing a couple special Random 11's in the coming weeks. I want to do another Favorites of 2009 -- I've got a playlist of about three dozen songs that I'm trying to whittle down, and I found some really great stuff this year (thanks, eMusic). I'm also going to take a stab at a Random 11 for the Aughts, my favorite 11 songs since 2000.

One funny music-related note: I am a fervent eMusic subscriber, mostly because it's a very cheap way to get a lot of indie rock. However, they entered an agreement with CBS/Sony this year, which allowed them to add a lot of old major label stuff...including many guilty pleasures for yours truly. I've already added some Hall and Oates, Ozzy, and Quiet Riot, and I have some REO and Journey in my queue. But I am almost ashamed to admit how excited I was when I found this:


I know that other song was bigger, but this was my favorite song to play to death from Play Deep. When I found eMusic added this, it prompted this conversation with The Lovely Becky.

Me: You know, The Outfield were an underrated power pop band. They were really pretty good.

TLB: Um, no they weren't.

Talk about say it isn't so. Have a great weekend.

20 comments:

fish said...

TLB is a remarkably perceptive woman.

Brando said...

I suspected you would take her side on this matter.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be having an entertaining and enlightening imaginary conversation with Chuck Klosterman about the cultural significance of The Outfield.

Jennifer said...

LOL!

Any Glass Tiger yet?

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

one more musical point of agreement with TLB.

Brando said...

I was really thirsty until I had to drink all this h8erade.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

We're worried for you Brando. We're concerned you might start listening to Creed.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

REO and Journey can get a mulligan, especially if it is their pre-MTV work.

fish said...

Um. No.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

shush fish. go lick a river.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

...wait, emu-sic has Ozzy?

Umm, i'm not going over there to add Crazy Train and Mr. Crowley to my Saved for Laters, no. don't even think that.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

plus, the quarterback thing was great.

For a comparison, watch Aaron Rodgers, who refuses to let go of the damn thing until he is crushed. Most sacks!!

Jennifer said...

shush fish. go lick a river.

LOL!!!!

Brando said...

I will play Glass Tiger before I will play Creed.

As for fish's REO hatred, it just goes to show that You Can Tune a Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish into an REO fan.

ZRM, yes, I think they have every Ozzy album (I grabbed a few tracks), plus Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. Their coverage is spotty but they have some classic heavy metal albums now.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Their coverage is spotty but they have some classic heavy metal albums now.

I vow to tell NONE of you which ones I download.

Kathleen said...

that video was so unbelievably cliched, except it probably invented them all.

fish said...

I love Fountains of Cliche.

Mandos said...

I actually thought that video wasn't bad. Too bad they weren't more recent or they could have been even better with Auto-Tune.

Churlita said...

My daughter has been into The Outfield lately. They must have a song in a movie or commercial or something. It's a little unnerving.

TLB said...

I knew I liked Brando's readers for a reason, and no, it wasn't for links to goatse cookies.

fish said...

and no, it wasn't for links to goatse cookies.

That was just the opening.