Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Hello, Cleveland!

Brendan tagged me with a book-related meme last week, which I could not reply to because I was in Indiana, where there are no Internets. But now I'm back home in the 21st Century and can reply. Here are the rules:
  • Find the nearest book (I grabbed the nearest one last night)
  • Name the book: The Rough Guide to Heavy Metal (yes, this is on my nightstand, right next to my Book of Mormon and World's Greatest Dick Jokes)
  • The author: Essi Berelian, with a foreword by Bruce Dickinson (yes, the Bruce Dickinson)
  • Turn to page 123 find the fifth sentence
  • Copy the next three sentences:
[From the entry on Fear Factory]: "The early style was was coloured [how British!] with the crushing power of death metal, Herrera's drumming providing a stainless steel framework for Cazares' synapse-frazzling guitars and Bell's deathrattle vocals spitting out tortured sci-fi inflected lyrics which only occasionally ventured into clean and melodic realms. Crucially, the band were also experimenting with electronic flourishes and samples echoing industrial bands such as Nine Inch Nails, Minitstry and Godflesh; it was cold, clinical, and utterly mesmerizing in an all-senses-pummelled kind of way. Cazares handled bass duties in the studio but Andrew Shives was recruited for live work." [whew!]
  • Tag three more people: I've seen this one on a lot of blogs I read, so I'm going to stop the buck here. Besides, how can one follow The Rough Guide to Heavy Metal? It's so meme, it's like, how much more meme can it be? And the answer is, "None. None more meme."

7 comments:

Churlita said...

I didn't think it was possible, but I think I like you even better now that I know you own The Rough Guide to Heavy Metal.

Brando said...

It is an awesome, awesome book, with lots of very tongue-in-cheek writing.

Michael Bains said...

What a Very Metal version of that meme.

Excellent!

Anonymous said...

Although some memes go up to eleven.

teh l4m3 said...

That's it. I'm running away to LiveJournal!!!

Anonymous said...

Indiana? Whose from there -- you or the TLB? I cannot keep y'all straight.

Did you get any good stuff?

Brando said...

The Hoosier would be me.

And Santa brought me an 80G iPod. I wish I could say it's because I was good, but it was because I had some embarassing photos of him.