Friday, February 05, 2010

No Random 11 today

My father called last night to tell me my grandma is gravely ill and isn't expected to live much longer. Even though she is almost 87 and has been on a downhill course for a couple of years, it was a shock to hear.

She's the last of my grandparents and definitely the one I have been the closest to. Both of my grandfathers were difficult men to know and love, either by personality or addiction, and my other grandmother died when I was eight. Grandma, on the other hand, is a warm, lively, adorable person, a person who was born to be a grandma.

The extra sad part of this is, because of her growing inability to live on her own, she very recently had to move out of her home of fifty years to live with my aunt and uncle in another state. It was the right move--they have the means to take care of her and they both have been nurses, so they have medical training and experience. But had the diagnosis been found just a little sooner, they could have let her stay in the place that was home, not just to her and but to our whole family. At this point, good news would be that she could make the journey back, although that seems unlikely given her dire diagnosis.

I'm leaving tomorrow to go visit her, joining a cavalcade of relatives coming to see her one more time. She'll be surrounded by loved ones and that's all you can ask for at a time like this.

After I got the news, I poured a glass of Scotch and sat down with some photos, finding ones of her with me and my siblings. Her life hasn't been easy, but I think it has been good and filled with more happiness than not. I hope we can give her a little more happiness this weekend.

16 comments:

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

sorry to hear that Brando. All my sympathies.

Churlita said...

I'm so sorry to hear that Brando. I hope her last days are as painless as possible.

Vonnie said...

Sorry to hear it B. Safe travels.

almostinfamous said...

sorry to hear it brando, my granny lives with us now(she's 94!), and she's been having a bad 2010 so far as well, so i know of what you speak!

Noelle said...

My thoughts are with you, and I'm happy that you had all that great Grandma time all these years.

fish said...

Ugh. Add my sympathies to the list.

Jennifer said...

Big hug from here. You and your family are in our thoughts.

Hamish Mack said...

Sorry to hear it Brando. Sounds like she is a special person

Kathleen said...

hugs Brando, we'll be thinking about you + your family this weekend

Brando said...

Thanks, everyone. It's going to be a rough weekend and I appreciate all the good wishes.

blue girl said...

Love and peace to you and your family, Brando.

Michelle Falkoff said...

sorry, brandon. please wish your family well for me.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

My sympathies, Brando.

I'll have a glass of bourbon in honor of both of you.
~

Pinko Punko said...

B- I hope you will be able to have some time.

Best,

PP

Chuckles said...

I'm sorry, Brando, that sucks.

Adorable Girlfriend said...

Brando, hugs to you. I left you a message and if you need anything, please do not hesitate to reach out.